It’s finally here – the British BBQ season officially starts this weekend
6 May 2016
With BBQ-friendly weather finally on the horizon, Tesco will be helping customers enjoy the sunshine this weekend with a host of quality food and drink ideal for outside dining.
Demand for BBQ meat at Tesco this weekend is set to double, with fresh fruit like strawberries, as well as ice cream and ice lollies also set to be high on customers’ shopping lists.
Tesco BBQ meat range buyer Suzanne Eldridge said:
“With temperatures set to hit 25C this weekend, it’s the first real opportunity Brits have had this year to get out into the garden and enjoy a BBQ with family and friends.
“Shoppers are wasting no time in stocking up for what is set to be a great weekend of garden fun. In the past, UK BBQs have mainly featured burgers, sausages and chicken drumsticks but Brits are now becoming real BBQ connoisseurs.
“To cater for this we’re offering adventurous garden cooks a fantastic range of BBQ-friendly food, including pulled pork, Beer Can Chicken and Teriyaki kebabs.”
Based on growing early demand Tesco expects, over the course of the weekend to sell:
- More than 1.5 million packs of sausages
- More than 250,000 packs of burgers
- 300,000 salmon fillets
- 600,000 packs of BBQ meat including chicken wings, slow cooked ribs and pulled pork
- More than 350,000 steaks
- Nearly 1.5 million packs of BBQ rolls
- More than 1 million punnets of strawberries
- More than 60,000 packs of Halloumi cheese
- More than 7 million ice lollies
- More than 1 million packs of ice cream
- Nearly 90,000 bags of BBQ charcoal
- 28 million bottles/cans of beer
- Nearly 3 million bottles of wine
Tesco is bracing itself for demand to continue next week and has allocated extra shelf space for BBQ foods, beer and wine.