Tesco re-launches finest*
7 October 2013
Tesco finest*, the UK’s fastest growing premium food brand, is being relaunched today in the biggest investment in the brand since it began 15 years ago.
Over 400 new products are being launched and in all, three-quarters of the 1,500 products in the range will be either new or improved.
The finest* brand is worth £1.4bn in sales a year and according to Kantar Worldpanel data, is the fastest growing premium brand in the market. Over 12 million finest* products are eaten in the UK every week.
And with today’s relaunch, Tesco is committing to lead the premium food market on quality and taste, reflecting how customers’ tastes have changed in the past 15 years and the importance they place on provenance, sustainability, ingredients, freshness and seasonality.
(David supplies our finest* Anglesey sea salt)
Tesco UK managing director Chris Bush says: “finest* is Tesco’s flagship food brand and our aim with today’s relaunch is simple – to be the best product on the market. It is already the fastest growing premium brand in the market, and we’ve reviewed every product in the range to be sure it’s fit to carry the finest* brand.
“We’re confident finest* offers our customers the very best food in the market, at the accessible prices they expect from Tesco”.
Tesco buyers scour the UK and the world to source the best products for the finest* range, and as part of the relaunch we have made hundreds of them even better.
(Our parmigiano reggiano supplier)
So our finest* trifle now has a base of Boudoir fingers instead of plain sponge and uses Amontillado sherry syrup for a more authentic flavour. On our finest* beef steaks and joints we have introduced Aberdeen Angus and Dry Aged products for a richer and more succulent taste. And our finest* pasta now has one of the highest protein contents in the market (14%) for a superior flavour and texture.
Tesco finest* first launched in 1998 in just a few stores, with a focus on ready meals, and has since expanded to cover many categories of food. The relaunch is being supported by sponsorship of the current series of Downton Abbey, the nation’s most popular drama, and by a multi-media advertising campaign which starts in mid October.
(finest* single origin chocolate)
Images of our new finest* range can be viewed here.
Notes to editors – introducing the finest* collection:
- Our Master of Wine, Laura Jewell, has cultivated our range of finest* wine by working with expert winemakers, brewers and distillers. Recognised for its quality, 96% of our range has won awards such as Decanter and IWC.
- Our finest* Vanilla Origins Ice Cream Selections showcase the delicious, distinct tastes of vanilla from different areas. Vanilla extract is blended with dairy ice cream, made in small batches in south Devon. We use full cream milk and double cream from Devon cows, with British free range eggs.
- Our finest* Traditionally Smoked Haddock is smoked at a 100 year old smokehouse in Lincolnshire. Joe Tummey started it up in the 1940s and has passed on all he knows to his son and grandson today. Years of using the same smokehouse makes the flavour even more intense.
- We are proud to source our finest* Pure Sea Salt from Anglesey. Smoked Halen Mon salt is smoked over Welsh oak and is perfect for fish, chicken and eggs. We’re told it can also be found on the top of President Obama’s favourite milk chocolate caramels.
- We travelled to Piedmont, the homeland of grissini, to find the best authentic Italian bread sticks, discovering a new family bakery in Turin. Our finest* Grissini Rubata Olive Breadsticks are made from Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Sweet Italian Black Olives. Rubata grissini are the oldest type and have characteristic twisted end. Because they are handmade, each one is slightly different.
- Taking inspiration from tea shops, and helped by our expert Tea Taster, Timothy Clifton, we offer single estate teas. Our finest* Single Estate Ceylon – Lovers Leap - recognised as one of the best tea gardens in Sri Lanka and the champagne of teas. Grown at 5,700 feet above sea level, its elegant, flowery flavour makes it a favourite amongst tea connoisseurs.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on
We are a team of over 530,000 people in 12 markets dedicated to bringing the best value, choice and service to our millions of customers each week. Our core purpose is 'we make what matters better, together'.