Tesco Lotus launches online grocery shopping in Thailand
8 April 2013
Tesco has launched its online grocery shopping service for all customers in Bangkok.
The new service will enable customers to order from over 20,000 grocery, fresh food and non-food products online for home delivery. The launch is part of the Tesco strategy to be an outstanding international retailer in-store and online.
“With our wide product range and great service proposition we are confident that Tesco Lotus online shopping will receive an overwhelming response from customers”, said Tesco Lotus CEO John Christie.
“Tesco Lotus is committed to innovation to meet the changing needs and lifestyles of today’s consumers. We will combine online technology with our retail expertise to provide a great online shopping experience for customers. With our solid infrastructure, our true understanding of customer needs for great service and good product quality, and our professionally trained staff, we are confident that we’re offering Thailand’s best-in-class online grocery shopping service”, said Tesco Lotus CEO John Christie.
“In today’s hectic world our customers need more help to make their lives easier – an ‘extra pair of hands’ to do the shopping for them. Tesco Lotus is ready to do just that – have specially trained personal shoppers to pick the best products and deliver them to customers at the time customers choose. Product quality is also on the top of customers’ minds. So, we have invested in specially designed delivery vans that can keep fresh, chilled and frozen products in good condition from stores to customers’ door steps”, added Mr. Christie.
Notes to Editors
- Watch a vlog on the launch here www.tescoplc.com/talkingshop
- Established in 1998, Tesco Lotus is the Tesco Group’s second largest business outside the UK with revenue exceeding £3,235m in 2011/12.
- We have acquired and developed more than 1,400 stores across Thailand, giving us a combined floor space in excess of 13m sq ft.
- We currently employ more than 50,000 people and offer customers a range of retailing services as well as our traditional grocery and non-food offer.
- In 2011, Tesco Lotus opened Asia’s first zero carbon store in Bang Pra.
- Launched in the UK in 2000, Tesco.com is now one of the UK’s top 5 most visited retail websites. More than a million UK households regularly order around a billion items each year.
- It is a profitable part of the business for Tesco.
- We have devoted sixteen years to developing what we believe to be the most efficient, quick and accurate system.
- The innovative IT platform was developed jointly with our Hindustan Service Centre (HSC) in India. HSC is Tesco’s global business services centre. Wholly owned by Tesco, it provides IT, financial, R&D and business services to the group and was set up in 2004 to support Tesco’s growth strategy.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on
Tesco is the UK's largest retailer and one of the world's leading international retailers. Tesco has more than 6,000 stores worldwide, employing almost 520,000 people in the 14 countries in which it operates.
Our core purpose is to create value for customers to earn their lifetime loyalty. Our success depends on people: the people who shop with us and the people who work with us.