Tesco joins the Regent Street elite
9 December 2013
From Saturday 7 December, the Tesco Metro on Regent Street has beeen transformed into the first bespoke, high-street Christmas window display by a supermarket.
With the supermarket’s very first bespoke Christmas window
From Saturday 7 December, the Tesco Metro on Regent Street has been transformed into the first bespoke, high-street Christmas window display by a supermarket.
It is supported by QR and Augmented Reality technology at another 11 Metro stores around the country to ensure customers shopping locally have the convenience of being able to browse the full range. For the first time ever, they are able to scan and shop without even entering the store.
Regent Street Metro Christmas window:
A 6 foot biscuit house is centre stage at the Regent Street store, which is framed in an eye-catching, Christmassy Scandi style snow setting.
The window showcases Tesco’s finest* food range and its wide range of gifts and decorations may take passers-by by surprise.
Robert Folly, Store Manager at Tesco Metro Regent Street said “The team and I were so excited to be chosen for the first Tesco Christmas window display. We hope that our customers enjoy it, the biscuit house looks good enough to eat so we may have to keep an eye on keeping the windows and doors intact until the big day!”
All product and decorations displayed in the bespoke Regent Street Metro window display are available online at Tesco.com. Customers can click to buy, then collect from that Metro store.
Metro Stores and Augmented Reality:
In addition, this week Tesco is also launching interactive window displays in 11 Metro stores across the country. Customers will be able to use QR codes and Augmented Reality to preview and buy products without even having to enter the store.
Popular products featured will include Christmas gift ideas such as children’s bikes, best-selling toys and Tesco’s new home ware range. Once the code is scanned, the product comes to life on the customer’s smartphone, and they can arrange to Click & Collect from the same store the following day.
The windows are part of a wider campaign at Tesco to get people into the festive spirit and make Christmas easier for customers. Christmas hats have gone onto the Tesco logo of more than 300 larger stores and for those who live and work nearer the smaller, local convenience stores involved, the Regent Street display and the interactive technology elsewhere, will allow them to browse Tesco’s extensive home, gift and lifestyle range.
For further information, please contact: Tesco Press Office on 01992 644645 or out of hours +44 (0)1992 644 733 (select option 2)
For images, please contact: Taryna Surtees at Lemonaide Factory on 01992 646997/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors
- The window display is in the Tesco Metro Regent Street, London SW1Y 4LR
- The food used for the display is out of date product and not fit for consumption
- The window’s theme is based on one of Tesco’s best-selling collections this Christmas ‘scandi’. Tesco has a new design team for all its home ware and lifestyle collections. Please see images of ‘scandi’ below.
- The interactive AR/QR code project is an example of Tesco’s commitment to multichannel retailing. Customers are shopping differently and the change is happening fast. Last Christmas 20% of our online grocery customers bought from mobile devices, this year it will be more than 30%. This number will be well over half for non-food purchases.
- The project will take place in the following Metro stores: Newcastle Eldon Square, Bristol Broadmead, Canterbury, Gravesend, Harlow , Peterborough, Kensington High Street, Birmingham Caxton, Manchester, Cardiff and Liverpool.
- Until 20th December customers will be able to exchange £5 of Clubcard vouchers into £10 of tokens to spend on finest* wine and champagne, toys and bikes, hudls and mobile phones, clothing, homeware and gifts, amongst many other products.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on
We are a team of over 530,000 people in 12 markets dedicated to bringing the best value, choice and service to our millions of customers each week. Our core purpose is 'we make what matters better, together'.